04 August 2014

Tablet Cover Case: Entrelac Crochet/Chess Board Design


Finally, a crocheted tablet case or bag for my husband's tablet. He chose the color combination without a design or a particular stitch in mind. When I consulted him about the design he suggested a design that would look like a chess board (he likes chess, he has downloaded chess applications like Fritz and Chess Genius and been playing against them in his free-patient time...sometimes he plays with his patient cum friend, Jagdamba Prasad, a 62-year old man who keeps getting us produce like sponge gourd, mushrooms, mangoes, figs, peach, etc.).

Anyway, a chess board like design? Well, it's internet so it must be there somewhere! One of the best things about internet is that you'll always find people who share knowledge for free. Thanks to them! 
So I kept searching.  At first, I found a set of crocheted chess board and pieces but patterns are not available for free so I continued looking. Until I stumbled on How To Entrelac Crochet by Mikey. I don't even remember how I stumbled upon his video...I just did. So I downloaded the video and started crocheting (a portion of my free time) what I call "chess board-like crochet design". 

Watching the video seems so easy but I find it quite difficult at first. Since I was using a 10 size steel hook the result of a few squares together was a little messed-up....the stitches are not even and the squares are small and I was thinking, oh no, it would take me months to finish the project and it may not worth the time (I only have one more hook and it's size 12), so when I showed the result to Banu, he felt the same so he asked whether I could make it bigger. Bigger? And my hook doesn't have a comfort grip, something that blocks the thread from going all the way, so it would be tough! 

But I tried anyway. The results, well, not perfect (because of the hook) but it looks pretty nice and Banu likes it. Jagdambaji likes it, too...and even suggested to add a sling to it. 



About the project:

Yarn: around 2 1/4 hanks of yarns (1 1/4 peach and 1 grey)
brand and type, I think it's acrylic. 
                                   Hook: size 10 steel hook (over-the-counter hook)
Instead of 7 chains as suggested in the video, I used 10+2 for this project to make the square bigger. A little tough and need to do adjustments to make the square more even.
Back finish is  7 X 8 squares (each square is around 1 1/2 inches)
Front finish is 7 X 4 sqaures
Edging: single crochet around
Edging of the Front Flap: 2 rows of star stitch with single crochet in the middle of the rows to give room for button holes.
Edging of the Inside Flap: 1 row of start stitch
Buttons: From old clothings, crocheted covering, and I did it this way by artandneedlework. I would have used grey color for the buttons but I ran out of thread.
How I attached the two sides together: by single crochet around together the back or the underside of both sides.
Finish product size: 12"W X 9"L


I did it and in fairness, although it did take me quite a while to finish this project...3 weeks I think, it was worth it!

Make yours now!

2 comments:

  1. Are you searching for accessories online? Shopshiphappy is the best place to buy it. Here you can find an extensive assortment of accessories such as cellphone accessories, tablet accessories, laptop and computer accessories, travel accessories and lot more. Shop today!tablet accessories

    ReplyDelete

  2. Latest tablet accessories reviews to help you discover which are the best TABLET ACCESSORIES for your needs, including cases, Bluetooth headsets, cases, chargers and more.

    ReplyDelete